The Music in My Head...

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Me and My Mom Don't Get Out Much

So, my wonderful mother came up to visit me last weekend. She didn't really want to drive the whole way by herself, but then she realized that her baby girl was about to move far away and that she would never get to see her again (at least not till Thanksgiving or sometime that awfully far away) so she hopped in the car and made the trip.
Friday evening we basically just hung out. After going grocery shopping, I made this awesome recipe that sauted scallops in olive oil with fresh spinach, tomatoes, and garlic. We added crab meat as well, and it was delicious! Momma thinks I'm an amazing chef because I actually cook with fresh vegetables and stuff. We also had fresh greenbeans sauted with onions, and rice and applesauce to make it a well rounded meal. It was fun.
We then went for a walk out by a lake by my apartments. We took Legend, and even though it was really hot, we had a nice time. Then, we rented that movie about the 9-11 plane that went down in Pennsylvania. It was intense, but really good.
Saturday morning, I made some banana, raisin, Wheat muffins for breakfast that turned out pretty good. You have to realize, I very rarely ever cook things I've already tried, so it's always fun to me to see if the recipe I'm cooking is any good, since I've probably never had it again... Anyway, we packed a little (not much, though, since I'm planning on the AF packing it all for me) and played a little Racko. It's a game where you get ten numbered cards and you have to put the in order by drawing and discarding. It's fun. I killed mom the first game, but she killed me the second time. We decided it was best not to play a third round.
We then went to A Spot for Tea (a tea room) for lunch with my friend from work, her baby, and her mother and law. It was delightful and right next to an antique mall. So we did some shopping. I have to tell you that I got the deal of the century!!! I found the china I've been looking for my whole life and got a pretty complete set for 1/6 of what it would normally cost from the store and 1/3 what it would cost if I found everything I got on sale on E-bay. (Yes, my mom and I were so excited about the deal we got we looked it up on-line and added it all up to see just how much we saved).














Here are a couple of pictures of our new Noritake china that will go quite nicely with the curtains we just put up (See Armand's blog for pics of the curtains). I also got a couple of cool black and white photos of Okarche that we're going to frame and put in our house as a reminder of the first placed we lived as a couple.
That night we went to see Superman Returns. This is where the title of this post comes into play. Well, we decided we would each buy our own tickets, so I went up to the counter and said, "I need one for Superman Returns at 7:20, please" --Sorry, Trey. Then, knowing how expensive movies are these days, I asked if they had a military discount. She said no, but they do have a student discount, "Are you a student?" "Well, I'm about to be." Thinking about starting my Master's Degree in a few weeks, so she's like, yeah, that counts a lot of people are in between semesters and stuff. I didn't have the heart to tell her I was about to go to grad school, because I think she thought I was like a freshman in college. I look too young. Sidenote-when I was at the dentist the other day, the technician swore I couldn't be older than 21 when I told her I was almost 25. Anyway, with the student discount it turned out to be $7.50, so I was like, "Wow, how much would it be without the discount?" $8.50, which is what my mom had to pay. We then decide to splurge and get popcorn. So we get to the register and see that we have a coupon for $4 off of a #2 that includes 1 large popcorn and 2 large drinks. We're thinking, "cool, maybe it will only be $2 or $3" but we find out it's originally $12!!! So we would still be paying $8. Since neither one of us really like cokes to begin with we decide to scrap the value meal and just get a large popcorn for $4. But we do want some water to drink. So the poor guy behind the register says they have bottled water, but we're too cheap to pay for water, we just want tap water, so he says he can give us complimentary cups. They are these little tiny Dixie cup size paper cups. He puts two ice cubes in each cup (that's all that will fit) and off we go with our giant bag of popcorn (of which we get free refills) and two tiny paper cups that we fill with water at the water fountain. We finally sit down at the movie and start eating our wonderful popcorn and notice it's not very buttery. Still good, but not buttery like we remember movie theatre popcorn to be. Well, we finish the bag during the movie and decide we'll get a refill on the way out, since we want to get our money's worth and I'll eat it as leftovers later. I realize then that there is a little station where you put your own butter on. We put some on this second round. As we're walking out of the mall with our huge refilled bag of buttery popcorn we wonder whether there is a rule about taking food out of the theatre like there is about bringing food into the theatre. Anyway, the whole thing was an adventure and made us realize how little we get out.
Hope you enjoyed the story. We laughed a lot during the whole expedition, but I don't think it's as funny in print.
Sunday we went to a random church close by my apartments, then went to Bahama Breeze for lunch. It was a very nicely done Jamaican style restaurant. Really good food. I wish I had discovered it before. Then, Mom headed back to Arkansas. I know this was a really long post, but oh well.

14 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger H Noble said...

I love your China Jelaine! Its beautiful! And I'm glad that you got to spend some quality time with your mom- that's the best.

I think Jelaine should win second prize Star Blogger, because I've never seen a blog this long! :)
H

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger "E" said...

Jelaine,
Congrats on finding your China and getting really cheap, I bet Kilroy enjoy's that part, lol. You talked about going to the movie but never said if you LIKED it. Superman Returns is AWESOME!!!!!!
Idea!! maybe I should do blogs about the movies I see, I buy and rent them like crazy, hmmm. I could be the official movie blogger. I have found my calling in life!

"E"

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger ArmandII said...

Sounds like a great idea E....I mean General E, Sir. And the china is pretty cool. She didn't tell you all that I went and saw the movie too. Nevermind the fact that I was in Nebraska and saw it 20 minutes after her. It WAS A GREAT MOVIE!

Kilroy was here!

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can comment on your site now! I LOVE your china! It's beautiful! Can't wait to see you on Friday! I reconfirmed everything today, and I'm picking up our T-shirts tomorrow. Love ya!

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger H Noble said...

You definately win the length award! That's down right amazing. I am glad you had a good time. Don't worry, you won't get out much in grad school either, at least if you are like me.

J

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Viki said...

Don't worry about not getting out much, or about being cheap. When we were kids, my mom actually used to sneak popcorn in, but I guess you sort of have to do that if you have 4 kids and want to be able to take them to the movies in the first place.

I want to see "Superman Returns" but Trey and I don't get to movies much, and I don't think he wants to see it. I love Superman, though, and have this thing about Superman underwear. :-) I have several pairs, and a Superman sports bra as well.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger H Noble said...

TMI Viki! ;)
H

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger H Noble said...

Trey hurry quick, your wife is disclosing her underwear on the blogs.....

J

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya J! I feel the pain of not getting out much. I have been known to wander around Walmart just to "get out" :p Enjoy Cali in my honor! I'm going to Texas next weekend! Yay! ;) Best of luck in grad school! :)

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger TreyJ said...

Tsk tsk tsk, Jelaine. After my long-winded old-man-style rant about "I need," you still said it at the theater....what are we to do with you?

:-)

Glad you and yer mom had a good time! Thanks for the awesome post!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Viki said...

Sorry H - my college girlfriends and I get a real kick out of the Superman underwear thing...

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger ArmandII said...

All I can ask is that you don't try to find her in Turkey ok Andy. I want to be able to speak to and understand your future Mrs. Right. :-)

Kilroy was here!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Viki said...

Definite turn-on Andy. :-)

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to know you have this site, glad you found the china, glad you found the china at such a great deal but really glad to read the adventure of the movie. So typical i could visualize the whole thing. You are both invited to my house - we'll do a double feature and I'll buy the snacks!
Paula

 

Post a Comment

<< Home